In June 2018, UHI hosted our final gathering of SPARA partners on the Isle of Skye at UHI’s Sabhal Mor Ostaig. The conference focussed on dissemination of project results and shared learning between work packages. Boyd Robertson, Principal of Sabhal Mor Ostaig, welcomed conference attendees and presented an overview and history of the college. We were delighted to have presentations from project partners presenting their most recent work, as well as presentations on:
- The main challenges facing aviation in North Karelia, by Sami Laakkonen
- ACDM Lite Hemavan, by Åke Wall
- An overview of aviation in Västerbotten and interest in SPARA, by Mårten Edberg
- Regional aviation issues in the UK, by Basil O’Fee of Northpoint & RABA
- Wider initiatives, including remote/digital towers and HIAL’s air traffic management modernisation strategy, by Robin MacRae of HIAL
- The business case for reopening Skye Airport, by Ranald Robertson & Neil MacRae of HITRANS
We were delighted to host attendees from outside of the SPARA project, and on the final conference morning, Kateryna McKinnnon from HIE (Regional Contact Point for the NPA) presented on the future of European and Interreg funding and upcoming NPA programme calls. This sparked conversation on next steps, possible future collaborations and project ideas. We hope that everyone enjoyed the conference, and many thanks to all attendees for their invaluable contributions.